Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cabbage Day


Because we knew it would keep, we decided to put off tackling the cabbage until today. That's been one of the things we've had to get used to--planning ahead. I showed Gerry both recipes I'd found, and he chose the pallya. I thought the other one sounded more like something I'd try, but we went ahead with the pallya. Who am I to argue with the cook?

The recipe's ingredients included some things we didn't just have lying around. Coconut, mustard seed, urad dal--we knew a trip to the Indian grocery was in order. We didn't get the recommended chilis, because I am not used to too much heat. Instead, we just used one milder pepper.


Gerry said this was a VERY easy dish to cook. One thing we should have spent more time on was chopping the cabbage. I would have liked it cut finer, because I'm still a little wary of the big chunks. Also, an orange pepper would have made it prettier, but we used what we had.



So, what's the verdict? Gerry couldn't say enough good things about it. He said he would definitely make it again, and he can't wait to make it for other people. He asked me to be sure to mention how light it is. I have to confess I was completely freaked out when I saw the bowl. All I could think was, "It's cabbage. It's cabbage." But it didn't taste cabbagey. I don't know if it was the coconut or the lime or what, but it was pretty tasty. Thank goodness we toned down the peppers though, because I would have been on the ceiling if it had been much hotter!

No comments: