Thursday, June 19, 2008

You Say Tomato...


They look so friendly. They're my favorite color. They're filled with vitamin C. And lycopene. They do good things for your cholesterol. And your heart. They're a natural anti-inflammatory. And yet they fill me with dread.

I put it off for two days, but tonight I brought it up and told Gerry it was time. I was going to try one. "I thought we were making pizza?" he said. "No," I said, "I want to try it raw."


With a glass of water standing by, I took a deep breath and bit into a slice. Gerry said my face screwed up like a prune, and he knew right then I'm just not a tomato girl. Not wanting to give up, I will try again tomorrow, with the pizza.

He, however, will be happy to eat my share.

2 comments:

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

You have really been adventurous so far with all these new vegies, what a success!
I'd say to try one of the super sweet teeny cherry tomatoes, the yellow ones are soooo sweet and un-tomatoey. Keep on trying though, there is a huge variety in tomato texture and flavor. I love tomatoes a lot, but not all of them are worth a second or even first eating! Some are really better cooked as you'll discover.

Darling Petunia said...

Aw, Julie, your comment is so sweet and encouraging! Don't worry, I won't give up on ALL tomatoes just yet. I was looking forward to trying some on a pizza, but our dough failed. Blah.