Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pick a Peck of Pickled...

Hi! Susan here. After much deliberation and some polling of friends, we decided these are albino beets. We had 8 votes for albino beets, 9 votes for turnips, five votes for rutabagas, and one wiseguy, knowing I hate tomatoes, tried to tell me they are "root tomatoes." Ha ha. Very funny. Gerry and I, with the advantage of smelling and tasting them, settled on beets. If it turns out we're wrong, then I guess we invented a new recipe!

I guess that means it's time for me to take over for a couple of minutes! Gerry here, to go over the pickled beets with you. For the record, I was one of the votes for turnips, but I was looking at a photo online at the time. Once I saw them "in the flesh", they were beets. So...


There are probably thousands of pickling recipes online. Not only that, our local Mennonite owned grocery store has a "Pickling and Canning" end display. Yes, END display of pickling supplies, including ready made packets of pickling spices! I did what I usually do-- I Googled "pickled beet recipe," looked at the first three or four, and picked the one that a) was the quickest; b) used ingredients I already had; and c) did NOT require a bushel basket of beets, 10 cases of canning jars and sterilizing equipment! Thus, this recipe for Quick Pickled Beets was the winner.





Believe it or not, I had EVERY item in the recipe! I couldn't believe my luck! When does that EVER happen? This really did only take 40 minutes from start to finish. It's super simple and the pickled beets and onion are delicious! They have just enough bite without too much "pucker" after effect. Really nice! The best part for me is that the recipe is for a really reasonable quantity of beets and can be used with pickles as well. I suspect that there are pickling cukes in our future...



I am thinking that when I use these pickled beets and onions in my next salad all I will have to do is grind some fresh pepper over it and it will be perfectly dressed! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Gena said...

Mmmm! Pickled beets! My grandma used to make quarts and quarts of them. Hers were sweet and mild and I often ate enough to make myself sick LOL!

Donna said...

We got some pickled beets at the high toned farmer's market in Wellington last winter - $8 for a pint bottle! But I did get a little tote bag with it. Anyway, the ingredients said there was a little vanilla in there. The pickled beet eater in the house said they were very good. I might add that if I see beets in the store. This isn't exactly the climate for them.