Monday, June 13, 2011

Asparagus Made Simple

So, what does the hungry soccer fan do after returning home from the game? Instead of heading for the junk food, I decided to try an idea Susan had suggested.

The recipe is for asparagus with cheese cooked under the broiler--very quick and easy! I had a wedge of parmesan cheese, some garlic and butter and we stopped and picked up a loaf of sourdough bread--simple ingredients!

Inspiration came from
this recipe at Steamy Kitchen but I didn't bother to cook the asparagus first-I prefer my asparagus crisper and cooking it would have been overkill. I also didn't grill the bread, I just put it all together and stuck it under the broiler. It doesn't get any easier than that!

All in all, this was a good meal. The cheese--I used a basic parmesan from Trader Joe's--was delicious. It has a really rich and nutty flavor, the kind of flavor that fills your mouth but doesn't have a bitter aftertaste. Really nice, and a great price! I paired the asparagus and bread with a mixed green salad to round out the meal. After all of the junk food temptations at the stadium, it was great to have some healthy food to come home to.

2 comments:

Taryn Day said...

Oh man, that looks good! I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

it was, it was!!!