Saturday, June 11, 2011

Red Hots



To me, radishes have always seemed like one of the punctuation marks of the vegetable world. They provide little exclamations of flavor to salads, but they are never the whole focus of a dish. I guess that's why I never gave much thought to what sort of nutrients they were providing. As it turns out, those cute little red balls are related to some of the heavy hitters of nutrition known as cruciferous vegetables and are an excellent source of vitamin C.




Another thing I didn't know about radishes is that the leaves are also edible and, of course, full of nutrients. Just be sure to separate the leaves from the roots before you store them and use the leaves within a couple of days. I found this out too late to sample a leaf this week, but hopefully we'll have more to experiment with in the weeks to come!



























No comments: