Sunday, September 18, 2011

Watermelon


I was tempted to skip doing watermelon nutrition, because, well, it's watermelon. It's yummy, it isn't fattening, but it's mostly just water, right? Even the chart to the left didn't do much to convince me otherwise. But then I searched the internet for more info and found this article which pulled me in because it echoed my thoughts exactly: The usual notion about watermelon is they are just water with taste, harmless, but not a good choice for nutritional value.


Au contraire! Besides supplying a good amount of vitamins A and C and containing the ever-important antioxidant lycopene, watermelon is a good source of vitamin B1 or thiamine, and minerals such as potassium and magnesium, all things which help balance a body's electrolytes. Anyone who has ever spent a night with leg cramps knows how important that is!


Gerry and I love these little watermelons, because there are only two of us. Two people and a giant watermelon can be overwhelming!

1 comment:

Velga said...

I like the small melons, too. Perfect single-size!