Friday, September 5, 2008

Tomato Fest

Because I'm not a fan of tomatoes, I haven't been paying too much attention to the different varieties in our shares. Here's a list of the heirloom varieties which could show up in your share:

Amish Paste-red, 8oz, oblong, heart shaped
Black Prince-dark red purple, 6oz, Russian heirloom
Cherokee Purple-burgundy, 10-12oz,
Garden Peach-yellow, 2-4oz, skin has a peach fuzz
Mr. Stripey (Hillbilly)-16oz, orange-yellow fruit
Prudens Purple-dark pink, 10-16oz
Carolina Gold-yellow, 10-12oz
Sun Gold Cherry-orange
Sweet Chelsea Cherry-red 1oz, intense fruity flavor
Piriform-red pear shaped with ribs, 7-9oz from Italy
Black Japanese Tiffle-dark red pear shape with ribs

Here's what we got this week (minus three which had already been eaten):

Different colors, different sizes, different shapes. Sadly, I don't know one from the other. I was looking for Mr. Stripey, though, because I've been following his progress over the past couple of months. I first spotted him as a mere sprout in the greenhouse.


Then he graduated to a spot in the field. I haven't seen him lately, as I haven't been making the pick ups. Hope you've enjoyed your summer, Mr. Stripey! I'm sure tomato lovers have been enjoying you!


No comments: