Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Let the Season Begin!

Today was our first pick up of the 2011 season at Myerov Farm! I seem to remember it being a gloomy, rainy day way back when we did our first pick up in 2008, too. Here's what was included in today's share:

asparagus
pac choi
mint
chives
lemon balm
cucumbers, beit alpha variety (more about them later)

Now, remember, this year we are doing a half share, in an effort to waste less! Full shareholders received TWO heads of pac choi, larger bundles of herbs, extra asparagus, a jar of honey, etc. This will plenty for the two of us!

One thing that's different from when we did this last is everything was set up to serve yourself, so I got to choose the exact veggies I wanted. I liked that! This way, if you are a fan of, for example, super-slim asparagus, you can choose that. If you like your asparagus as fat as possible, you can choose that instead. I couldn't remember which way Gerry liked it, so I picked one that was in the middle. I hope it's juuuuuust right, Baby Bear. Next time I'll be sure to take my camera along so I can show you how beautiful and inviting the full crates of vegetables looked.

If you're maybe still wavering about joining a CSA this year, I want to share something I thought about as I was en route to the farm. Lucky for me, this year I can swing past the farm on my way home from work. It feels good that I can do this without making a special trip. (By the way, if you aren't close to the farm on Elephant Road, you should know that there are other pick up points available in Glenside, New Hope, Doylestown, and Montgomeryville. They are listed here.) Anyway, my new route takes me a different way from what I was used to, and I pass several housing developments along the way. I had to wonder how much of that land was once farm land. You see where I'm going with this, and I won't get into a whole, big preachy thing, but it's something to think about.


What about you? If you're a member of a CSA, what were your reasons for joining?

No comments: