Sunday, September 25, 2011

Forks Over Knives


Time for another movie review! This time we watched Forks Over Knives, a documentary which came out just this year. The basic premise of this movie is that eating a plant-based diet is healthier. Forget what your mom told you about needing to drink your milk for calcium or eat your meat so you'll grow big and strong. The doctors in this film claim animal-based products are at the root of many of the health problems we face, including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. In fact, they say many health issues can be reversed by eating a plant-based diet.

Now it probably won't surprise anyone to hear that I, as a vegetarian, was more receptive to this message. Gerry is skeptical and wants to know more about the science behind it. Gerry also likes his turkey bacon and cheese burgers an awful lot. But I am also a big fan of cheese and consume my share of milk. In fact, I just had a check up and my doctor asked me about my dairy consumption and told me to keep drinking my cereal milk! But I wonder if there is anything to this. I wonder how our overall health would change if we gave up animal products entirely. It's something to think about.




If the trailer piques your interest, there are tons of related videos on YouTube, including the entire movie for $3.99. Or, check it out of your local library! I know the Bucks County system has it! There is also more information at the official website.

No comments: